Seven-Layer Dip {Secret Recipe Club}
Monday, June 13, 2011
| Seven-Layer Dip, a Crowd-Pleaser |
This month I was assigned Mary of Giving Up On Perfect, where Mary blogs about life - "sometimes funny, occasionally deep, always real." Mary likes to talk about "family, faith, books, diet-friendly and fiber-filled foods like granola bars and nachos (what?), celebrity-look-alikes and my favorite TV shows."
As I read through Mary's blog, I noticed a few similarities between the two of us - we both married young (she married her high school sweetheart and I married my freshman college sweetheart); she had a premature delivery (my twins were born 11 weeks premature); and we both have a strong Christian faith.
Although Mary does post recipes on her blog (she loves Mexican food, especially anything with a tortilla!), she writes on a variety of topics, including parenting, christianity, work, and compassion. For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I decided to make Mary's Seven Layer Dip, the perfect appetizer for a big party.
Easy Dips, like bean dips and layered dips, are especially popular during the summer for casual barbeques and get togethers. I've made different versions of 7-Layer Dip in the past, but haven't made it in a while. With one of my son's baseball season ending, our team had a end-of-season celebration, so I couldn't think of a better appetizer to bring for a large crowd. Whether you call it Mexican dip, taco dip, bean layer dip, or 7-Layer Dip, this layered dip is a winner every time.
I made a few adjustments to the layers in this Seven Layer Dip, mainly to suit the taste of a younger crowd.
Seven-Layer Dip
Seven-Layer Dip Ingredients:
- 1 can (fat free) refried beans
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Simple Guacamole (see below)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- pickled sliced jalapeno peppers
Simple Guacamole Ingredients:
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
Directions:
- Spread the refried beans in a pie plate.
- Layer tomatoes and onions on top.
- Mix Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning and spread on top.
- To make Simple Guacamole, mash avocado, lime juice and a little salt together until smooth. Spread on top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Top with jalapeno peppers.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
| Mashing avocado, lime juice and a little salt together makes a Simple Guacamole |










23 comments:
I've seen many layered dips, but your looks excellent. The greek yogurt must make it hold together far better than sour cream!
I love seven-layer dips; this one looks so yummy. I like the idea of using Greek yogurt.
This looks like a great layered dip - infact more of a meal! lovely ingredients
Mary
Hi there! I saw your blog linked over at Secret Recipe Club (I didn't participate but was just checking out all of the blogs that did) and I'm so glad I found your blog. Your photography is GORGEOUS! And this dip looks delish. Can't wait to look around more. I am your newest follower!
Check out my blog and follow back if you like!
http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com
You can't go wrong with dips like this and there are so many places to take them during the summer. Looks great!
Yum, I love seven-layer dip! This one sounds really delicious...especially with homemade guacamole! :)
What a nice recipe! you are so patient to make all seven layers, I would probably just pick 3 or 4 :-)
Jeanette, what a great recipe! I haven't had 7 layer dip in so long. Adding this to the menu this week. :)
This seven-layer dip is really easy to put together, and I tried to make it a little bit healthier by substituting 0% fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Homemade guacamole is also really easy to make and contains no preservatives.
Oh my YUM! This is soooo yummy looking! great choice; cant wait to try it!
I love seven layer dip. Your pics are great!
I'm enjoying my first month in the Secret Recipe Club and checking out all the blogs and recipes. I love that this recipe uses Greek yogurt, yummy!
Such a delicious looking dip! Yum! Great pick for the SRC :)
I like that you've lighten up this classic dip, it's a great one to bring to picnics and bbq's.
wow, how did you get to be a part of this club? sooo neat! and i love the dip idea! it's always so unhealthy, but using the yogurt instead of the sourcream/cream cheese is perfect!
What a fun dip! I'm betting it would be perfect for a father's day bbq!
Anyone can join the Secret Recipe Club. Amanda's Cookin hosts this event every month. Here's the link: http://www.amandascookin.com/p/secret-recipe-club.html
Hope you all join in on the fun!
I could make a whole meal out of that dip. Looks wonderful.
One of the reasons I love the events that have you cook from another's blog is the fact that you meet so many new people you may not have otherwise met - and sometimes become great friends because of it! The did looks very yummy! A great take to a party kind of dip!
This looks fantastic! I love that you used Greek yogurt and guacamole. I bet I could eat that entire dish by myself!
This would be perfect as an appetizer for Father's Day BBQ. It's lightened up with fat-free refried beans and 0% Greek yogurt, but no one will ever know.
I ate so much of this dip in my twenties, and happily so! Glad to see it back again and updated with Greek yogurt. I have the chips but I'm missing this in my kitchen, a pity. Looks so good!
ooh i wish I could dip right into this!
Post a Comment