Fresh Berry Salad and a Creamy Raspberry Dressing Recipe

 Monday, November 29, 2010


Fresh Berry Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing
With Thanksgiving behind us, and the holiday season continuing, I thought it would be nice to post a lighter recipe, for a Fresh Berry Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing, to start off the week.

Salads are a great way to incorporate fruits, vegetables and nuts into a daily meal, especially berries, which are high in cancer-fighting phytochemicals such as anthocyanins, ellagic acid and pterostilbene.

Recently, a friend invited me over for lunch and served a tossed green salad with a bottled raspberry dressing. Alongside, she had a bowl of fresh berries. Without thinking, I spooned some berries on top of my salad, and she remarked "what a great idea." I thought she had meant to serve the salad and berries together, since the berries seemed to go naturally with the raspberry dressing.

When I got home, I decided to try to make a homemade raspberry dressing with fresh raspberries, as store-bought dressings often contain a lot of sugar and additives.  I found a recipe for a creamy raspberry dressing that contains no cream, but gets its creamy consistency from the dijon mustard. I halved the amount of oil, doubled the amount of raspberries, and used raspberry vinegar in my raspberry dressing recipe. The combination of fresh berries and a fresh raspberry dressing is so refreshing, and the nuts add a nice crunch.

Fresh Berry Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing

Printable Recipe
Creamy Raspberry Dressing:
¼ cup grapeseed oil or other flavorless oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
½ pint fresh raspberries (6 ounce pack)
salt and pepper to taste

Salad:
8 cups mixed baby greens
½  cup fresh raspberries
½ cup fresh blueberries
½ cup fresh blackberries
4 tablespoon walnuts, toasted

To make the Creamy Raspberry Dressing, combine oil, honey, Dijon mustard, vinegar and lime juice in a blender and blend until emulsified.  Add raspberries and blend until pureed.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To serve, place a generous handful of mixed greens on salad plates.  Top with berries and walnuts.  Drizzle with Creamy Raspberry Dressing just before serving.  Serves 4.

More Berry Salad Recipes:
Spinach Salad with Fresh Strawberry Dressing from Enlightened Cooking
Very Berry Salad from Veggie Wedgie

Sources/Articles on Cancer-Fighting Berries:
An article on phytochemicals in berries by the American Institute of Cancer Research
The Power of Berries in the New York Times
Berries: Cancer-Fighting Superfoods? on MSNBC.com
Different Berries, Similar Cancer-Fighting Effects on Science News

Anticancer Ingredients: Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Leafy Green Vegetables, Walnuts
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Chelle B November 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Berries on my salads took some getting used to. I absolutely love them now. I'm not a fan of bottled berry dressings so this sounds like the route to go! I love the colors in your salad. The more color food has the more exciting it is to eat!

Jeanette November 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Berries are great on salads, spinach and strawberry salad is a popular combination too. This homemade berry dressing is creamy and fresh, without all the sugar and fillers that store bought often contains.

Marly November 30, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Looks very healthy and tasty too!

Anonymous,  January 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM  

just made this dressing for a salad i made last night - heavenly! thank you for the recipe. i find a lot of fruity dressings too sweet, but the addition of dijon is perfect. would also be delicious with a few toasted walnuts added INTO the dressing to make it even creamier/deeper. bravo!
- rebekah

Jeanette January 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM  

Thanks Rebekah, I'm so glad you liked this dressing. I love your idea of adding walnuts into the dressing, a great healthy addition!

Anonymous,  February 13, 2011 at 1:34 PM  

The creamy raspberry dressing is perfect on oven roasted chicken breast. Its a odd combination but while i was eating the salad some got on my chicken and i really loved it. This recipe is absolutely amazing :)

Jeanette February 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM  

Great idea, sounds like a light and healthy dinner!

Anonymous,  February 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

Oh my goodness Jeanette! Thank you! I came across your blog looking for a nice healthy side salad for this Valentines day that wouldn't ruin my healthy eating.... This was delicious! For those calorie counters I figured out the calories... it is 305 calories per serving... not bad for such an amazing tasty salad! I made the salad this morning with the leftovers and added some canned salmon for the protein to make a more complete meal... it was really good! Thanks again!

Anonymous,  February 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM  

Shot! I apologize I had my raspberry amount off!!! Total calories is around 285 per serving.... sorry about that... thanks again!!!!

Jeanette February 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

So glad you enjoyed this salad, the dressing is delicious and I love the combination of salmon and raspberry!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Comments

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP