More Homemade Soup Recipes {Mushroom Spinach Farro Soup and French Lentil Brown Rice Soup}
Monday, August 09, 2010
Image by MGF/Lady Disdain via FlickrMy friend "B" just got another chemo treatment today so I'm making her a couple of homemade soups and smoothies that I hope will make her feel comforted and loved. Trying to come up with something healthy and tasty...I decided to make Mushroom Soup with and Spinach and Farro, and French Lentil Brown Rice Soup.
Here are the recipes for the Mushroom Soup with Spinach and Farro, and Lentil Brown Rice Soup:
Mushroom Soup with Spinach and Farro
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, diced
10 ounces - 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (I used baby portobello and shitake), sliced
10 ounces - 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (I used baby portobello and shitake), sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (for vegetarian version)
1/2 cup farro or barley, soaked in lemon juice and water overnight
1/2 cup farro or barley, soaked in lemon juice and water overnight
salt and pepper to taste
a large handful of fresh baby spinach
a large handful of fresh baby spinach
Saute leek, carrot and celery in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and dried herbs; cook until liquid from mushrooms is released. Add broth and farro. Simmer 30 minutes or until farro is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach just before serving.
French Lentil Brown Rice Soup
2 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 1/2 cups French Lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or substitute 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme)
6-8 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
Saute leek, carrot and celery in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, brown rice, herbs and broth. Simmer 30-45 minutes until lentils and rice are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I found another yummy recipe for mushroom soup on fatfreevegan's blog for Mushroom Barley Soup with Cannellini Beans and Cabbage, which combines whole grains, legumes and cancer-fighting cabbage.
Anti-Cancer Ingredients: Mushrooms, Farro, Barley, Leek, Carrot, Celery, Spinach
Anti-Cancer Ingredients: Mushrooms, Farro, Barley, Leek, Carrot, Celery, Spinach










0 comments:
Post a Comment